Peak District Walks
Derwent Edge from Strines
Date: 30th July 2006
Distance: 7.1 miles
Ascent: 1133 feet
Time: 3 hours 30 mins
With: Lisa & Mandy
Start Grid Ref: SK220909
A very easy walk along Derwent Edge visiting the famous gritstone features such as the Salt Cellar, Dovestone Tor and White Tor.
Route Summary: Torside Visitor Centre - Longdendale Trail - Wildboar Clough - Bleaklow - Herne Stones - Higher Shelf Stones - Lower Shelf Stones - Dowstone Clough - Clough Edge - Longdendale Trail - Torside Visitor Centre
1. Lisa and Mandy on Foulstone Road
2. Lose Hill and Mam Tor from Derwent Edge
3. Approaching the top of Back Tor
4. Derwent Edge from Back Tor
5. Back Tor
6. Dovestone Tor backed by Kinder
7. On Dovestone Tor admiring the view
8. Back Tor from Dovestone Tor
9. Along Derwent Edge
10. The Salt Cellar backed by Derwent Edge
11. Ladybower Reservoir backed by the Kinder plateau
12. Win Hill from Derwent Moor
Walk Detail: An exceptionally easy climb from Strines Bridge was the prelude to this fascinating amble along the rock formations of Derwent Edge.
The view over the Peak District, which appears very suddenly on this approach, was particularly impressive from the rocky top of Back Tor which required a small easy scramble to get on to. The walk along Derwent Edge was a delight with great sweeping views mixed with the dramatic scenery of the edge itself with Dovestone Tor, the Salt Cellar, White Tor and the Wheelstones all providing a great deal of interest.
A very interesting walk, the rewards of which far outweighed the modest effort involved.