Yorkshire Dales Walks
Gordale Scar & Malham Cove
Date: 16th October 2005
Distance: 7 miles
Ascent: 1016 feet
Time: 4 hours 15 mins
With: Lisa, Mum, David & Amber
Start Grid Ref: SD900626
A family walk around the majestic limestone scenery of Malham and Gordale.
Route Summary: Malham - Wedber Wood - Janet's Foss - Gordale Scar - Street Gate - Malham Tarn - Pennine Way - Watlowes - Malham Cove - Malham
1. Getting ready to set off from Malham
2. Mum and David in front of Janet's Foss
3. Mum and David walking towards Gordale Scar
4. The lower falls of Gordale Scar
5. The upper falls of Gordale Scar
6. The path climbing out of Gordale
7. Gordale Beck above the waterfalls
8. My Mum sat by Malham Tarn
9. Looking down in to Watlowes
10. Malham Cove
11. Traversing the limestone pavement above Malham Cove
12. Malham Cove
Walk Detail: Our second walk this year with Mum, David and Amber this was a very pleasant day out and while visibility was hardly great I was able to enjoy better views of the Hawkswick Clowder to Kilnsey Moor scenery than I had on previous visits to the area.
From the experience of my previous two visits it was particularly nice to be able to guide my family around and point out all the interesting features. A worrying moment was getting Mum up Gordale Scar and for a while I thought she was going to back out. In the end we got up though and she was very proud of herself.
A first was a climb down to the top of the upper waterfall of Gordale Scar which I did with Amber. It was quite a spectacular scene and was well worth the effort.
There is not much else to say about the walk, the scenery was magnificent as ever and we all really enjoyed ourselves.